Friday, December 27, 2013

Gift of Jukebox

"Since we have gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, each of us is to exercise them accordingly: if prophecy, according to the proportion of his faith; if service, in his serving; or he who teaches, in his teaching; or he who exhorts, in his exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness." (Romans 12:6-8 NASB)

It is amazing to serve a God who gives grace. Having just celebrated Christmas and the greatest gift to man in history, Jesus. I am struck with the generousity of  our God. The depth of his love, that is constant toward us. Through that love He pours out gifts, and expects us to play with them. Like a child on Christmas morning, who upon receiving a new gift decides spend his day using the gift to its every possible application of fun. When was the last time we spent a day with God asking Him how we can use our spiritual gifts? 

The beauty of a gift is it's voulentairy, and we can't earn it. All you can do is receive it, and enjoy. I love the picture of a persons attitude that looks at life asking God what they can give. No matter what has happened to them, no matter what the world tells them they lack. 

The world wants us to feel empty, so we can try to fill those holes with what they are selling. We can apply that to ourselves, and wonder why we can't dance, sing, and be as funny as Justin Timberlake. 

The question is not if we have been created equal, which is a perspective of entitlement. Instead, have we prayed to receive our full portion of His grace? 
God is a giving God. He who is seated on the throne in full glory, whose robe is light. He who sent His spirit to dwell in us, He calls us to use the gifts He gives. I like to see Him like a father on Christmas morning helping us open up our gifts, and ask us what we are going to do with them. If we are dedicated to prayer we should be asking Him consistently to play  with us. Gifts are best when shared. 

I remember as a young boy a friend of my dad gave me a classic jukebox. Like any respectable jukebox it came preset on the local oldies radio station. Being young and enjoying oldies, I assumed for some reason that was the only radio station it could play. I mean why would a jukebox play country or hip hop? So for about three years I listened to oldies. Until one day my best friend asked me why I always listen to oldies. Before I could even respond, my friend had flipped down a secret panel and was tuning through the vast space of FM radio. My world was rocked, and my perspective of the gift I had been holding for years was radically changed. 

-=What does this mean for our Worship=-

Do you have a Jukebox? A gift you know God has given you that you kept to yourself. I think it is good for our hearts to share. If we ask God to flip down the panel on our jukebox to open up what He can do with our gifts, I think he answers that prayer. 

I know we can get distracted asking for more, more, more. When what we really need is perspective that what we already have is good. When I think about the family and friends God has blessed me with and the gifts He has grown in me, all I can do is worship Him. In a spirit of thanksgiving I give Him praise, and desire to spend time with Him. 

I pray that God would help you to open up the jukebox of your gifts, and receive your full portion of His grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment